Monday, July 13, 2009

MoM - Spiced Nectarine Muffins

Spiced Nectarine Muffins - yield 12 muffins. Since food prices started skyrocketing last year and my kids all started eating real food, I've been doing more and more of shopping our grocery shopping at Club type stores. A few weeks back I discovered all 3 kids like nectarines so I skipped off to the local BJ's and bought a container. Of course later that week 2 out of 3 of them decided they no longer liked them. What's a mom to do!? I didn't want them to go to waste so I googled "Nectarine Muffins" - here's what I found. It was great - I even got the above mentioned 2 to eat them. ;) I've never added the pecans because I don't have them on-hand, but I'm sure they are great that way too!

1 1/2 cups diced ripe nectarines (bout 3 nectarines) peeled
2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
2 tsp sugar mixed with 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Heat oven to 400`
Toss chopped nectarines with lemon juice and set aside.

Line muffin tin with paper liners, or grease.

Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon and salt in a large bowl, break up the clumps of brown sugar.
In another bowl, whisk together butter, milk and egg **be sure to add the butter to the milk first or else you'll have scrambled eggs!** Stir milk mixture into the dry ingredients and blend until moistened. Fold in nectarines and pecans (if using).

Fill muffin cups and sprinkle each one with a little of the sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool about 3 minutes in pan then remove to cool completely.

*Disclaimer - this is not my recipe, I found it when googling for muffin recipes myself!

No comments: